Friday, October 31, 2008

Tie-dye

Hubby transformed into a hippy this evening for Halloween.  Went to Jo-Ann's, found a shirt for $3, bought some Rit dye, came home and went to work.

I wrapped the shirt in rubber bands all over. No method to it just wrap and make lumps. Although the lumps where I wrapped more rubber bands on top of each other turned out better (What can I say it was my first shirt). I boiled water in an old pot. I would recommend a stock pot. Something deep. The water and dye actually were overflowing when I put the shirt in. I was FREAKING out at this point! Aren't you so glad I'm telling you all of my mistakes. Don't let that happen to you.
Photobucket

Look at the mess I made. All the dye on the outside of the pan was nothing compared to the mess I made. You can see the residue of it overflowing. 
I used an old spoon too. Anything that touches the dye will stay that color. After the water is boiling, add the dye. The more dye you add the darker the shirt will be. Boil for about an hour stirring constantly.

Photobucket

After the hour, drain the water and rinse the shirt until the shirt rings out clear water. Remove rubber bands and voila... see the circles on the bottom right? That's the look to go for. The trick is to wrap the rubber band around a lump of shirt and then do another one right above, maybe even 2 or 3 more. It gives it a layered look if you know what I mean.

Photobucket

Sexy I know. Sorry ladies, he's taken!

The bottle of Rit dye has directions on it if you have any questions. Happy tie-dying!

No comments: